Ground Flax Seed - Bob's Red Mill
Several of DOGSNOG recipes include GROUND Flax Seed.
- Flax seed (ground or oil) is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential fatty acids that are good for skin and coat. Anti-inflammatory properties of flaxseed can help ease symptoms of arthritis, lower blood pressure, improve kidney function, and maintain healthy skin and coat in dogs. Flaxseed also contains a lot of fiber, it helps your dog’s digestive system clean itself out and function properly. *
- Why GROUND Flax Seed and not whole Flax Seed?
- Whole flaxseeds will pass through a dog's digestive system undigested so it's wonderful properties are not absored or able to be used byt the dog's body, The fats in flaxseed will also go rancid not long after if you hand grind them. Use liquid or ground flaxseed *
- From Bob's Red Mill "...In the 8th century, King Charlemagne believed so strongly in health benefits of flax seed he passed laws requiring his subjects to consume it. Now, 13 centuries later, some experts say we have preliminary research to back up what Charlemagne suspected.
- [Bob's Red Mill} milled flaxseed is freshly ground to preserve the natural flax oil (also known as linseed oil) and nutrients. Although flax meal contains all sorts of healthy components, it owes its primary healthy reputation to omega-3 essential fatty acids, polyunsaturated fatty acids, lignans and fiber. Omega-3 essential fatty acids are thought to reduce blood pressure, and just two tablespoons of our ground flax seed offer 2430 mg of omega-3s. Lignans have both plant estrogen and antioxidant qualities, and flax seed contains 75 to 80 times more lignans than other plant foods. Flax meal is also high in dietary fiber, containing both insoluble and soluble fiber. It's also a believed to be a powerful natural cholesterol controller."